This chocolate smoothie is a winner! It’s satisfying, nourishing and it naturally sweet. I love it as an afternoon snack, especially for those days when my sweet tooth is calling.
As with most smoothies, it’s easy to modify the ingredients to serve your needs. Some days I find I need something more filling so I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I like to use hemp-based protein), and other times I crave the oh so beautiful combo of peanut butter and chocolate and opt for peanut butter instead of almond butter.
I also like to incorporate some therapeutic foods such as maca, which is an adaptogen to sooth the hormone secreting glands (such as adrenal glands in times of stress) and it provides energy. Recently, I bought a chi tonic from the I Love Health store, which enhances vitality while helping to buffer the effects of stress. I like to add these stress busting supplements when the school load becomes a bit much!
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 banana
- 2 dates (remove pit)
- 1 cup (more or less depending in how thick you want it) of almond milk (unsweetened) or milk of choice
- I like the brand ‘Silk’ for almond milk (unsweetened) the best because it has the least amount of binders and fillers
- 1.5 tablespoons of cacao powder
- Small handful of cashews
- 1.5 tablespoon (or one big spoonful) of raw almond butter (or organic natural peanut butter.
- Valencia peanut butter is better quality
- Dash of cinnamon
- 3 Brazil nuts (optional)
- I just like to add these for extra nutrition! You could alternatively add a scoop of hemp seeds
- 1 scoop of (chocolate) hemp protein powder (optional)
- Or add protein powder of your choice (read ingredients labels to ensure your protein powder isn’t full of binders, fillers and added sugars)
- 1 teaspoon of maca (optional)
- I also add a teaspoon of chi tonic when I'm feeling extra stressed
Blend everything in your blender (go Vitamix go!) until smooth. Store in the fridge to chill, until you’re ready to enjoy :)