Do you love yogurt parfaits but worry about all the added sugar? Well, here's a simple recipe for you to make that is free of processed sugar! It's the perfect breakfast or mid-morning snack. Our recipe is sweet, creamy and crunchy, low glycemic, filled with antioxidants, has healthy fat, and is fermented... can't get much better than that! The best part is, it's so easy to make and you can easily take it on the go. We like to use kefir, that's the fermented part. Kefir is a fermented yogurt-like drink, that can be used instead of traditional yogurt, which can be full of added sugar. Eating fermented foods regularly is incredibly beneficial to your digestive system since it contains healthy bacteria. You can also choose regular yogurt, coconut yogurt for dairy-free or Greek yogurt for extra protein, but just be sure that you choose plain yogurts! This recipe also uses chia seed pudding. Chia seeds are amazing since they are full of omega 3 essential fatty acid and are loaded with soluble fiber, which is a great cleanser for the digestive system. Seriously, this parfait is a winner!
- Choose your favorite medium sized jar
- 5-10 minutes before you make the parfait, make chia seed pudding. Take about 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds, put then in a bowl and add about 3-4 tablespoons of water. You can also add a teaspoon of vanilla. Mix together and let sit for 5 or so minutes. It will quickly get thick! This consistency is how it will work it's magic in the digestive system.
- Once chia seed pudding is ready, make the parfait!
- At the bottom, add a layer of kefir
- Then add chopped berries, such as strawberries and raspberries (you can use fresh or frozen berries, and you can add whatever else you like such as blueberries and blackberries)
- Add a layer of chia seed pudding
- Add a layer of homemade granola (*check out our granola recipe here)
- Add some cinnamon
- Add more kefir and berries
- Top with extra granola!