This pasta salad was a staple that my mom made during the summers as a quick and easy healthy meal to grab on the go. It’s very simple to make, is nice and light, packed with veggies and lasts for days in the fridge. Plus, you can customize it to your liking! My mom used to make it with whole wheat pasta – I often use brown rice pasta, and recently I started using an organic brown rice, quinoa, amaranth and corn pasta (gluten-free). The veggies in this salad are primarily red onion, peppers and cucumber, but often times we also add diced spinach and black olives to the mix. This salad totally reminds me of summer time and my mom <3
- Pasta of your choice (whole wheat or a gluten-free type of pasta… please not white pasta! It’s too refined and doesn’t provide much in terms of nutritional value). Use approximately 375g of pasta.
- 1 small/medium size red onion, chopped into small bite size pieces
- 1 long English cucumber, chopped and diced
- 3 peppers, chopped into small bite size pieces (red, orange and yellow pepper for lots of colour!)
- ¼ cup of olive oil (can add more if needed… I usually add about another tablespoon, but depends if I use feta cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Oregano and other herbs of your liking!
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: feta cheese, diced spinach, black olives, cherry tomatoes
- Cook pasta (following directions from the package), drain and let cool.
- Prepare salad dressing by whisking ingredients together and add to cooked pasta.
- Chop red onion, peppers, cucumber and other ingredients
- Combine everything together and enjoy!